Jun 26, 2017
What does the future of the digital age hold for the outdoors
and conservation for all of us?
Ron Siegle talks about the new Allband Center
for Education and Wildlife Research (ACEWR)
- Allband began as a need for phone service in North Eaastern
Michigan where no service or infrastructure had ever existed
- Began as a fiber optic co-op phone company.
- After 12 years of service there was a push to use the
technologies for use in the outdoors to help study and learn more
about the outdoors and whats in it.
- Can be used to study fauna and flora diseases, invasive
species, conservation, wildlife management, etc....
- Partnering with Universities to conduct real time studies with
no human intervention.
- Allows for us to get and offer information faster.
- Can we get the temperature of a deer remotely in the wild?
- What can't we do with this technology?
- Use a portal to distribute and collect the information
- Listening to the Heartbeat of the Outdoors
What is the toughest resistance encountered for this
- Lack of resources is the biggest issue facing this technology
- The silo affect, groups of people working on the same thing but
working alone. They need to work together
- Education and knowledge is a problem as far as getting the
right information to people's fingertips
- Working with your neighbor and bridging gaps
- Trusting the DNR or other government agencies
Oak Wilt and how it affects all of us.
- Cluster of dead red oaks found and was identified as oak
- How to stop it from spreading
- How will this affect your deer's food source
- Red Oaks are all interconnected via the root system which is
one way oak wilt is spread
- Root system must be cut to keep it from spreading to healthy
- Don't trim or cut oaks from April 15th to July 15th, due to the
beetles being active at this time of year which is another way to
spread oak wilt
- Landowners can reach out to the DNR forestry division for
- When to replant new trees?
- Working with your neighbors is a huge asset to stopping this
What do you as a hunter or outdoorsman want on a portal to be
able to have access to?
- Developing an interactive state of the art portal to aid
- A place where everyone who has a vested interest in the
outdoors can glean information and pass along information
Danny is prepping for a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
for the 4th of July