Aug 3, 2020
This week the guys talk with Michael Bleau who lives near Mike
and Danny who found a really old elk skull in his lake!
- How he found the elk skull
- Only one loop around the antlers held it
- Covered in muck
- Everyone in the neighborhood went nuts
- In about 30 to 40 feet of water
- Fully intact except for lower jaw
- Local archaeologist took a look at it
- How did it get there
- What did it score
- Cranbrook Institute took it to preserve it and Carbon Date
- Elk went extinct in this area in the mid to late 1800's
- What is the age of the lake and how did that contribute to
preserving the lake
The Carbon Dating Process
- The process of finding someone to carbon date the skull
- Cranbrook Research Institute reached out to Michael
- Had to preserve the skull first
- Used a small piece of the skull to carbon date it
- Can they use the teeth to give an age estimate of the
- 2 1/2 weeks to get carbon date results back
- The preserving process
- When will it be on display for the public to see?
- What's still down there?
How old is it?
- The Great Fire in Michigan and how that affected the
- How that time frame correlates to the elk
- No other bones found due to currents and water species feeding
- 220 years old +/- 30 years
- An Eastern Elk species
- Oliver Hazzard Perry's hunting adventures in this exact area in
nearly the same time frame of the 1840's
Have you had any interest in selling the skull?
- Several people interested in purchasing it
- Might sell it or auction it at a later time
- 7x6 skull
- When you can see it